Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blocks For Thursday Bee Exchange

Today is the due date for J.C.'s wonky house themed blocks from those of us in the SMQ Guild who are participating in this exchange. I created a village of Hudertwasser style houses for her.
11"x 13"
This is the fourth piece in my "Hundertwasser Happy Houses" series. It is made in my "ortwork" collage technique. However, the ground, sky, and house fabrics are not cut from scraps (orts), but the rest were rummaged from the three big bags sitting in my studio. To read about the other three H.H.H. quilts go here.

And here's another block I had made in November for this group exchange. Sandy's request was for cowboys.
10"x 10"
The cowboys and some hats from the heads of others were cut from fabric I had found in an antique store in Colorado last summer. I don't believe the fabric is old, but it's the only place I've ever seen it. I fused the cutouts onto a background fabric that looked like swirling ropes or lassos to me. The black outline around the shapes is satin stitching.

Next month Sheila gets her "floral fantasy" blocks. Hmmmmm... wonder how I'm going to interpret that one.

PS: Several of you have expressed concern for me in the terrible storms that hit Tennessee. The tornadoes didn't get to the east side of the state were I live. We just experienced strong winds and torrential downpours. My prayers are with those who lost loved ones and homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment