Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ArtPrize 2011 Report


ArtPrize is over ... sigh! "Imelda's Dream II" got a lot of attention and votes from among the 500,000 people who visited Grand Rapids, Michigan during those 19 days. I feel honored to have been one of 1,582 artist participants in this grand scale art event that covered over 3 square miles of the downtown, plus the botanical garden of that city, Miejer's Gardens.

Janice of Good Goods Gallery in Saugatuck hung my entry. I'm grateful that gallery is so generous to me. I was there to hand up tools and help to determine it's levelness by eye. It's surprising how much actual levelness according to a leveling tool can differ from the visual one. It's all relative to the art pieces relationship to the architecture of the building.
Between her expertise and the lighting guy who works for the DeVos Place Convention Center, it was beautifully lit.

That walkway was filled with people on the days that I spent with my piece to talk with those who were interested.
Interaction between the artists and viewers is a major goal of this event. Go here to see a video that explains ArtPrize wonderfully well.

No comments:

Post a Comment