Saturday, December 5, 2009

Once Upon A Time I Was A Smocker

Well, I guess I am still one since I haven't forgotten how to smock. But once upon a time, smocking, creating patterns (published and unpublished), writing instruction and project books/booklets, as well as teaching the technique was a major focus in my life ... for about fifteen years. I even helped found a national organization, the Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA), in 1979. For a number of years I wrote a column titled, "Nellie's Needles" for the guild's publication. Now you know a bit more of my needlework history and the origin of my weblog's title.

Smocking is usually associated with baby and young girl's clothing. Since I had two sons who were well into boyhood, I was noted for applying smocking to non-traditional items. One of my creations is this framed piece.
"Kaleidoscope"
10"diameter x 4" depth

Kaleidoscopes have always intrigued me. At the time this was created I actively collected them. It has a dimensional form. The smocked circular design is set into a 3" high surround to give the effect of looking into a kaleidoscope. I used an almost black silk for all the parts including the mat on which it's mounted within the frame. The stitching is done with 3-ply cotton floss.
It used to hang at eye level on this wall, but got moved to a higher spot to make room for another art piece.
I'm not ready to retire this piece. I'm glad to have found a spot for it on that wall full of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment