Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Flower Centers

A week ago I ordered a new machine, Juki TL-98Q, since my other workhorse of a machine, Brother 1500, refused to stitch properly ... even after being serviced. It arrived this morning and was immediately put to service sewing the centers into flowers.
I'd like to share the method I've devised to make the centers for the Cone Flowers. The materials I use are on the right side of the photo below. There's wool roving, trimming from woven wool fabrics, and yarn. Bits of all those are pulled and cut apart for one flower center on the left side of the photo.
I spritz a few drops of water on that bit of "stuff" in my hand.
Then it's rolled around between my palms to mat it into a ball shape. If I don't care for what I see it gets pulled apart and rerolled.
The ball of fibers is laid in place. There's a bit of shaping and stuffing and maybe rearranging done til it looks "right".
A piece of tulle netting is pinned over the ball of fibers to contain them in the desired shape. The excess is trimmed away after the stitching on the center is finished.
Here you can see some already sewn and some waiting their turn.
This is a finished panel of the Prairie Flower installation piece with the just sewn centers in the Cone Flowers as well as the yellow Rosinweed flowers.
Now, to see how the Juki quilts the many lines of stitching with numerous different weight threads on the three panels that are pinned and have been waiting their turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment