Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Hand Then and Now

Earlier this month Deb of Red Shoe Ramblings posted a request on Connections for bloggers to feature photos of their hands.

The clay impression of my hand came to me a few years ago. It is one of the very few items from my childhood that I possess.A few moments ago I took a picture of that same hand which made the indent in that clay sixty years ago.

Those two pictures represent my life of making stuff. I could end this post here, but I'd like to add another photo of that hand in action.Five years ago a friend photographed my hand while I was quilting my first crinkle quilt, "Ode to the South Pacific". I don't usually wear rings and bracelets when quilting. This picture was taken while on a long weekend vacation and I was sitting and chatting and quilting. I wear a latex finger that's cut off a glove on my thumb when quilting or doing any hand sewing to easily grip and pull the needle. I prefer cloisenne thimbles, because I like the sturdiness and weight and the inside is enamel ... plus they are beautiful.

My child hand impression and that photo taken sixty years later hang together in my studio. Now, I had better get my hands busy completing my quilt entries for the Smoky Mountain Quilt Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment