Sunday, February 25, 2007

Kitchen Art

This delightful small piece hangs in my kitchen. It won the blue ribbon for miniature quilts at the 2004 Dogwood Arts Quilt Show.
Sweet Gold - 9"x4"- 2004
It hung in a spot that called for a companion piece. So within the next year I made this one using the same collage technique.
The pears and grapes are shaded with oil stick pastels. The white highlights are paint. The butterflies and flowers are also enhanced with pastels.

Both of those pieces had their beginnings as appliqued and embroidered dish towels belonging to my friend, Alicia. When they got worn and grundgy she used them as clean-up rags for her painting projects. When I made a fuss over them they became mine. Here's the last one she's passed onto me.
This is where the pair of those miniature quilts hang.
This area features a collection of chickens. I find it amusing that I really dislike real chickens, but I very much like chicken art. My negative feelings stem from living with and caring for and plucking those stupid birds on the farm in Iowa.My Carol Bryer Fallet tea cozy lives in this cupboard. It covers the clear glass teapot.I'm especially fond of this cozy, comfortable corner in the kitchen. It's a nice place to enjoy a spot of tea with a friend. The first scrap quilt I made is hanging over the back of a chair.
We have a permanent guest, Bertha Big Body, who occupies this corner of my cozy corner. The painting of the chef with the chicken was made by my husband when he was 11 1/2 years old. He did the wood burning of Toulouse Lautrec about 40 years ago.As you can see, our kitchen is full of art. There's a 4' tall wooden banana tree standing in the middle of the island. Of course there's Elvis as well as one of my favorite chickens. Really, there is space to work and room to eat here.

No comments:

Post a Comment