Tuesday, February 20, 2007

CBF Workshop Piece

While the curved piece that I created in Caryl Bryer Fallert's workshop was hanging on my design wall I cut tulips and pinned borders to it.
Then I layered a piece of Press'n Seal over it and drew a quilting pattern with a permanent Sharpie fine point pen.
I then stuck the traced piece of Press'n Seal on a card board. I propped it up near my sewing machine so I could have a visual reference for free-form quilting.
Don't know why, but I ran into all kinds of complications with the quilting ... thread breaking, tension problems, and just generally feeling clumsy about the whole process. While I was ripping out stitches I got to reconsidering the quilting pattern AND the whole project. If I made a wall hanging there is no place to hang it. I would most likely donate it to my guild to raise money or gift it to a friend. I really like this piece ... and I desperately need a tea cozy.
I have four wonderful tea pots and they get wrapped with a towel while my tea is steeping and to keep it hot.
So.....I did a minimum of machine quilting after much fiddling with the tensions and drafted a pattern that would fit over my largest pot.
Another factor that led me in this direction is that the "tulip" leaves are "growing" from top and bottom of this piece. That bothered me when I was thinking of it as a wall hanging. It works perfectly in this format.
I finished constructing it twenty minutes before a friend came to have tea this afternoon. I'm delighted with my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment