Friday, May 22, 2009

Scraps, Lots of Scraps, Bags of Scraps

For years I've been making art quilts with a collage technique I call "ortwork" ... a play on the words artwork and ort which is the British term for scraps. I look at all of these bits and pieces and see potential "brush strokes".
For the last month this has been the sole source of material for a major project that will be ongoing for quite a few months ahead. There have been hints of this project in previous posts. It's being revealed today in response to a campaign by Michele of With Heart and Hands for her readers to feature scrap quilts, or "quilts made with everything but the kitchen sink".
During this past month of work I've created the first layer, the one I call under painting for a large ... no make that HUGE ... commission project. This schematic represents an installation of twenty-five separate panels that all together measures 14 feet wide and 10 feet high.
My older son designed a grid template on Photoshop for me to drop a photo of each piece into place as it's completed. I am so thankful for this invaluable design tool. Without it, there would be no way for me to see all these panels together and how they interact as a whole piece. Otherwise, the only time I'd ever see them in their proper orientation would be when it's finished and installed on the wall of a lobby.

Here's a close-up of one panel that measures 24"x 34".
It, plus the other 24 panels, are packed up along with supplies ready to be transported to Studio North next week. There I'll build another layer(s) that will transform them into a large field of prairie flowers under a summer sky.

I'll post my progress throughout the summer.

PS: For an occasional break I may whip up a lake quilt from the heap of scraps. I haven't made one of those since #68 last fall in Studio North.

No comments:

Post a Comment