Sunday, February 22, 2009

Am I Done?

All four border pieces are quilted, the yarn is couched over the seams, and several choices of fabric for a 3/4" binding is being auditioned. I also filled in color with oil stick pastels to extend flowers across seams in the border. It's looking good. However, I'm having the problem of deciding what more, or if any more, is needed in this piece.
32"x 30"
I chose the strong pattern of water color flowers with the same coloration in a wide border to balance and compliment the center. But does it? The quilting patterns help to unify the two parts. Is it wishful thinking on my part that it's finished? Am I too attached, too much in love, with that center piece the way it is? I like the branch with its implied extension across the width of the quilt as well as the angled sweep of flowers on the vertical. Does it need something more? The center piece is about air and atmosphere. That aspect is reinforced by the variegated yellow and green yarn that is slightly fuzzy plus the flowers floating on the light valued background in the borders. But does it work to have "distance", a big hole, as the focal point? Am I done?

No comments:

Post a Comment