Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lake Series - Half Done

Yeah! I'm half way to my goal of 100 lake quilts. Every 25th piece is an abstract made from the trimmed off edges of the previous 24.
Lake #50 - 13"x 12"
The one other abstract quilt #25 that I 've made worked well with a horizontal arrangement of strips. This one has extreme light and dark pieces that I couldn't get to "flow".
Just before I fell asleep after an evening of trying to make this work, the solution came to me. Cut horizontal strips after the vertical ones are sewn, then slide each one way or the other by cutting a section off one side and re-sewing it onto the other. This is very much like the fast technique for constructing a "trip around the world" or bargello pattern.

The result reminds me of David Hockney's photographic collages.

The Lake Series albums in the sidebar have been updated. Album I includes all fifty quilts. Album II will contain the next fifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment