Monday, May 28, 2007

"Hell On Wheels"

A few postings ago I wrote here about this piece that is a round robin between my friend, Jane, and me.
Lone Tree - 16"x18"
To recap, she had given me the tree, I made an "ortwork" scene and gave it back to her. Jane finished it with the borders.

In this exchange I had given Jane one of the 6" blocks that I make out of my larger scraps.
She scanned it into her computer and played. Jane ended up creating this fanciful creature in a field with some sky.
I wish I had thought to take photos before it was finished. The silk flowers, yarn tail, plus the nose and wooden bead eye are my additions and of course there was no quilting when I got it.
Hell On Wheels - 23"x24"
In addition to the added elements mentioned above, I increased the size by adding to the sky, a road in the foreground and stands of trees on each side. It appeared as though this creature was hellbent for somewhere so I stacked three sets of buttons to make wheels. I gave him a destination ... the last leaf left in the forest. I don't know what happened to the rest of them, but there was only one left and he was going to make sure it was his. It's contructed in my "ortwork" collage technique.

My friend, Alicia, was visiting and making her ginkgo pieces when I was working on this. My intent had been to donate it to SMQ's small quilt sale. However, Alicia was tickled by the humor of this piece and my chatter while making it. So, it went home with her as an early birthday present. Now, I just need to remember when October rolls around that she already has her gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment