Monday, June 5, 2006

I'm Here

We have arrived in Michigan. It hardly seems as if we had ever left. Our young families did a good job "opening" the cottage over Memorial Day weekend. So good, that for the first time in all the 45 summers that I've been coming here I felt that I could just move my stuff in and do "my own thing". The first evening of our arrival I had my Brother s1500 set up and was quilting. Yeah!

"The Beach" - 8"x10" - 2003

This is the first quilt scene that I had ever made. The Summer 2003 issue of AQS's magazine, American Quilter, got me started. The article, "Accidental Landscapes" by Karen Eckmeier, looked like fun and easy to do. One of her sample projects was a beach scene, so I thought I'd try do our beach on Lake Michigan. This was done while I was in Tennessee and it's from my memory and feelings about this beach that I've been playing on since I was 20 years old.

Stay tuned for more pieces done in this technique. I'll also include a general description of the "layered curves" technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment